Skip to main content

Moving from UK to France – healthcare

Healthcare is one of the institutions that we will deal with at least once in our lives. Regardless of whether it will be post-accident treatment, a control visit or vaccination. When moving to another country, it is worth getting acquainted with the functioning of its health service, availability, prices, and everything that would be important to us – regardless of whether we are its patient or employee.

What should I remember before moving from the UK to France?

You will do both yourself and your doctor a favour if you bring your medical records from your previous doctor. It should be in English or possibly translated into French by a qualified person to avoid mistakes.

You should also take stock of your medications and make a list of them, or search for what substitutes are available in France and show this list to your doctor to consult with him about any changes in the course of our treatment.

Treatment in France – public or private?

Healthcare in France, as in many European countries, operates on the basis of insurance, both public and private. It offers its services to everyone in France, regardless of age and economic situation. Government-funded agencies, on the other hand, cover more than 75% of medical expenses.

Insurance prices

For insurance, a resident of France has to pay around €40 per month for one person. Of course, the price depends on the type of insurance and the company that is responsible for it. The best thing to do is to look for insurance companies in the area where you live, compare prices and think about what we need and potentially need.

For employees – where to look for employment?

Many hospitals and clinics still need qualified medical personnel, so with this education you will have no problem finding employment in France. You need to communicate in French at a minimum B1 level, even if you find a job in an English-speaking institution.

What documents do we need in French medical institutions?

In French hospitals and clinics, we will primarily need carte vitale, EHIC and proof that we have insurance. In some cases, you will also need a declaration that we are entitled to state healthcare.