Skip to main content

The advantages of being a member state of the European Union, visa to Belgium

The advantages of being a member state od the European Union Visa to Belgium

The first thing you need to think about if you are moving to Belgium is administrative matters. How easy it will be for you to move to Belgium depends largely on whether you are a citizen of the European Union or the EEA. If you are, then you don’t need a visa to enter or work in Belgium.

You need to check firstly whether your country has a visa waiver agreement with Belgium if you are not from one of these countries. To do this, ask the Belgian embassy or consulate in your country of previous residence for this information before you travel to Belgium. You can find information about Belgian posts abroad on the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Foreign Trade and Development Cooperation

You will need to apply for a long- or short-term visa, depending on the length of your stay in Belgium. Apply or send your application to the nearest Belgian office before you move to Belgium. All official information regarding visas to Belgium can be found on the Belgian Ministry of Foreign Affairs website.

Long-term visas

Two types of visas are available based on the purpose of your stay. For most of them, you have to pay an administrative fee of 180 Euros. If you are moving to Belgium for business or professional reasons, you will have to choose one of the visas, i.e. employee, self-employed, senior manager, researcher, investor, trainee, au pair.

Schengen Visas

If you are staying in Belgium not longer than 90 days and you are a citizen of a Schengen country this visa will be necessary. The cost of this visa is 60 Euro, visas for children are cheaper, however, the visa processing takes from three to four weeks. The Electronic Visa Information System has been in use in Belgium since 2014. Therefore, first-time applicants must apply in person at the Belgian embassy or consulate for biometrics (fingerprints, photo).

If the purpose of your visit is work and you have applied for a Schengen visa, you will need a letter from a Belgian company about your employment or desire for employment to verify the purpose of your stay in Belgium. Australia, Brazil, Canada, Israel, Japan, Mexico, New Zealand, Singapore, South Korea, the USA and other privileged countries do not require a visa to come to the Schengen area.

Electronic identity card

If you plan to live in Belgium or stay more than three months, you must appear at the local town hall within 8 days of your arrival. To register you will need a proof of residence (rental contract)

Once registered, you will receive an electronic identity card. Belgium has recently updated its residence cards so that they are aligned with European Union standards. The new electronic cards have biometric data in a chip company. They serve as a certificate of address, residence permit and, above all, as proof of identity. Once you have this card, your move to Belgium will be much easier.