Skip to main content

Moving from the UK to Belgium – which UK benefits are available?

Moving from the UK to Belgium may result in changes in payments, such as a pension. What should you do before you leave the UK?

UK benefits in Belgium – apply before leaving the UK

  • JSA based on contributions,
  • Severe Disablement Allowance,
  • Statutory Maternity Pay,
  • Statutory Sick Pay.

UK Benefits – which you can apply for after you leave the UK

  • Attendance Allowance,
  • Funeral expenses payment,
  • Carers Allowance,
  • Incapacity Benefit / Job Seeker’s Allowance,
  • Disability pension,
  • Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit,
  • Maternity allowance,
  • British Child Benefit.

Benefits in Belgium after moving from the UK

If you work and pay contributions in Belgium, you are entitled to certain benefits, including unemployment and incapacity benefit. Make sure that your contributions from the UK are included in this calculation. You will need to complete the application form CA3916. You may be entitled to a non-contributory disability pension and your local Social Assistance Centre will be able to help you.

UK-Belgium taxation

The UK has a double taxation agreement with Belgium. That means that you do not have to pay tax twice, but you have to declare assets held outside Belgium. This includes bank accounts, insurances, pensions, property etc. It is a separate statement from the annual tax return, and there are severe penalties for incorrect or delayed information. It is advisable to seek professional taxation advice.

Moving from UK to Belgium

You don’t have to be afraid of bureaucracy – when you move to Belgium, you will always find people ready and willing to help. Just don’t postpone getting your SIS card, you never know when you will need medical or other care.

You can also read our other article, where we describe how to get a UK pension after moving to Belgium – How to get social security in Belgium after moving from the UK.